Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Good Day Sunshine

Scientists at the Max Planck Institute for Bioinorganic Chemistry in Mülheim, Germany have developed a promising new catalyst for splitting water using sunlight and storing the Hydrogen and oxygen produced.

The team of scientists found that titanium disilicide (TiSi2) can split water using a photocatalytic process similar to photosynthesis whereby chlorophyll molecules use light energy to convert water and carbon dioxide into glucose. The semiconductor is also able to separate and store the Hydrogen and oxygen released.

Using simply the sun and no other fossil fuels to produce Hydrogen is about as clean as a method as one can find. Assuming this can be implemented on a large scale it will definitely be something that we can expect to see in the Hydrogen Future.

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2007/October/01100701.asp

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Hydrogen blogger- I LOVE your blog titles.. keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the costs of implementing solar panels on a home. For a long time I have admired and wondered about people that had them on their properties, but I always thought the costs we ridiculously high and the units would pay themselves off for many years. From the links on your page and some additional googling, the cost for set up seems well in the grasp of most home owners today. I wonder if Home Depot and Lowes would catch on, I bet the prices would even come down more. I am really considering solar panels in my future energy plans.
Thanks for the informative links